You were just driving home thinking about the nice evening you had out with your friends when suddenly you see flashing red and blue lights in your rearview mirror. Being pulled over by the police is never a fun experience. When you have had a few drinks, it may be even more disconcerting. Although you may feel sober, the police may accuse you of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Being accused of a DUI in Illinois can have serious consequences. To help you avoid unnecessary charge, or reduce your charge, here are a few tips for how to handle being pulled over and accused of drinking and driving.
- Stay calm. Getting angry with the police may escalate the situation. If you are calm and cooperative, the police may realize that you are not as big of a danger as they may have originally thought.
- Be courteous. The police appreciate a good attitude. When you are polite to the policeman who pulled you over, the entire situation goes far more smoothly.
- Don’t answer any incriminating questions. The police may try to ask you some questions. Remember that you do not have to answer these questions if you are unsure or if you are worried they could hurt your case in the long run.
- Be honest. The police are trained to know when you are lying. Being honest without incriminating yourself makes you look less suspicious and helps make the situation easier on everyone.
- Take a chemical test at the police station. Instead of taking a Breathalyzer at the scene, ask to take a Breathalyzer or blood test at the police station instead. This will help you get your thoughts together and may help your future case.
Once you’ve been released, it is a good idea to jot down everything you remember from that night. This can include how much you had to drink, what you were doing when you were pulled over, how the officer treated you, how long it took for you to be arrested, what was said to the officer, and more.
Then, contact a Collinsville DUI attorney to represent you. Putting an Illinois criminal defense lawyer on your side can help you get the best outcome possible in your case. Protect your future by calling the Giacoletto Law Firm at 612-623-4297 or 866-647-5286 to learn more about how we can help you.