1. If you’ve been injured in an accident, seek immediate medical treatment. Or if at first you didn’t think you were injured, but now believe you might have been, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
2. Do not talk to or correspond with the other driver’s insurance company about the accident or your injuries.
3. Do not sign any forms for the other driver’s insurance company.
4. Be extremely careful of what you post on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media sites. The insurance company and their lawyers will review your postings for anything they think will help minimize your injuries and lessen your damages.
5. Don’t be in a hurry to settle your accident claim.
6. The insurance companies and their employees are not your friends, even if they’re from your own insurance company.
7. Hire a lawyer that is experienced in accident cases as soon as possible.
8. Especially if you’ve been in an accident involving a big semi-truck, you would want a lawyer on the case the minute after it happened.
9. Take pictures of the vehicles in the accident and the surrounding area of the accident.
10. Take pictures of all your injuries from the accident.
11. Keep all records related to your accident from the moment it happens.
12. There’s no reason to exaggerate your injuries.
13. Report the accident to your own insurance company. Use your own insurance company to help get your car repaired and get a rental car while yours is being fixed. If you don’t have insurance, limit your conversations with the other driver’s insurance company to getting your car fixed and obtaining a rental vehicle. Better yet, ask your lawyer to help you with getting your car repaired
To get more information after you or a family member has been hurt in an accident in Illinois, fill out the form on this website and get your FREE "Illinois Guide Book to Auto Accidents and Injuries" and the "Illinois Guide Book to Semi Truck Accidents." Or better yet, for more direct answers call the Giacoletto Law Firm at 618-346-8841 or toll free at 888-346-8841 to speak today with an experienced Madison or St. Clair County accident attorney centrally located in Collinsville.