Getting Your Driver's License Reinstated
To have driving privileges reinstated, a driver convicted of DUI must:
• Have a clear driving record other than the revocation sanction.
• Undergo an alcoholic/drug evaluation. If an alcoholic/drug problem is indicated, proof of treatment must be submitted.
• Complete a drug/alcohol remedial education program. Even if the evaluation does not recommend treatment, the driver is still required to complete a remedial education program.
• Appear before a Secretary of State hearing officer. For a first offense, an informal hearing may be conducted by visiting a hearing officer at one of the regional Driver Services facilities. Multiple offenders must request in writing, pay a $50 non-refundable filing fee, and attend a formal hearing in Chicago, Springfield, Mt. Vernon, or Joliet.
• Demonstrate during the hearing that public safety will not be endangered if driving privileges are restored. The hearing officer considers the seriousness of the offense, the offender’s overall driving record, and the driver’s remedial efforts.
• File proof of financial responsibility prior to reinstatement, pay a $500 reinstatement fee, pass the driver’s license exam (written, vision, and driving) and pay the appropriate application fee.
• Payment for a revocation fee must be mailed to
Secretary of State
Traffic Violations Section
2701 S Dirksen Parkway
Springfield, IL 62723
• An offender requesting a formal hearing for reinstatement of driving privileges must pay a $50 non-refundable filing fee when requesting the formal hearing.
A reinstatement becomes valid when it is entered on the driver’s record in the Secretary of State’s office.
To get more information after you or a family member has been charged with DUI/DWI or a traffic citation call the Giacoletto Law Firm at 618-346-8841 or toll free at 888-346-8841 to speak today with an experienced Madison or St. Clair County criminal attorney centrally located in Collinsville.
Source: 2013 Illinois DUI Fact Book, Jesse White, Illinois Secretary of State; www.cyberdriveillinois.com
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Getting Your Driver's License Reinstated"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."