Five Crucial Steps to Take After an Illinois Truck Crash
Truck accidents in Illinois are very different from car accidents. There are often multiple people responsible for the crash, injuries tend to be far more severe, and the people deciding how much money to pay you in a settlement are usually backed by a strong legal team, making it difficult for anyone to get fair compensation for what they experienced.
If you have been hurt in an Illinois truck accident, you may be overwhelmed by the complex situation you suddenly face. To help, here are five critical steps you must take to get what you deserve from the trucking company, and get your life back to normal again as quickly as possible.
- Get medical attention. When a commercial truck hits a passenger vehicle, the resulting injuries can be serious. It is crucial that you seek medical attention as soon as possible so that you can have your injuries treated before they become any worse.
- Start investigating what happened. Reports from truck accident companies about what happened tend to be skewed in their favor so that they do not have to pay you as much in a settlement offer. By conducting your own investigation together with an Illinois truck crash lawyer, you can make a stronger case for why you deserve fair compensation.
- Gather evidence to support your claim. Gather evidence that will prove what happened in the crash. Evidence, such as photos, injury reports, clothing worn during the crash, documentation of property damage, police reports, and more can help you make the best case when filing your claim.
- Obtain an expert witness. In some claims, having the testimony of an expert witness to prove fault may be necessary. An Illinois truck accident lawyer can help you get access to expert witnesses who can help you with your claim.
- Avoid conversations with the insurance company. While you conduct your own investigation, it is important that you limit what you say to the trucking company’s insurance adjuster. This is because insurance companies often play tricks on accident victims, causing them to lose valuable money just for telling their side of what happened during the crash.
When you are involved in an Illinois truck crash, you are entitled to compensation from the trucking company. Don’t let them try to take advantage of you and pay you less than you deserve! Call a Collinsville truck accident lawyer at the Giacoletto Law Firm today to learn how we will fight for you.